Good Girl Moonshine (GGMS)

GGMS or Good Girl Moonshine.  A drink made of apple cider vinegar, water and sweetener.  Pearl and Serene of Trim Healthy Mama coined the phrase Good Girl Moonshine as an all day sipper and made it popular, but drinks with apple cider vinegar and ginger date back to at least the Laura Ingalls Wilder days.

In those days Laura called it Ginger Water.   In the first chapter of "The Long Winter", Laura talks about Ma sending them ginger water to drink.  A little Prairie Moonshine if you will!

If you are adventurous, you can try the "ginger water" recipe below that was in one one of my kids workbooks back in the day. I love my moonshine but I think that the 2 cups of vinegar called for in that recipe might be a little strong. You could also try one of the recipes here or here or here.  I have never tried a version with  brown sugar but it is on my to-do list.

Let's talk about the vessel for GGMS. Glass quart canning jars are the preferred vehicle for housing a person's GGMS. After all, isn't that what moonshine is stored in? I use a quart sized jar when I am at home, however, when I am on the go and out of the house from 8 am to 8 pm, glass is not the perfect option.  At that point I use a 1-1iter water bottle I buy from the Kwik Stop for 2/$2.22.  I also use the same bottle until it is cracked and no longer holding water.  Then I buy two more and start again.  They usually last a couple of weeks.  I know that this can cause controversy among those who don't like plastic, but when glass isn't a safe or feasible or portable option, we need to do what we need to do.  However, maybe a copper vessel of some sort would be apropos. πŸ˜‰

The ingredients needed to make your perfect GGMS are easily obtainable at any grocery store.  There are several options for making GGMS but the essentials are ACV with "the mother" (Braggs is a commonly used brand...I use the brand from Costco), ginger powder or ginger juice and stevia or other sweetener that doesn't contain sugar or icky ingredients such as dextrose), mineral salt and water. After that, it is all up to your imagination and taste buds.  You can use all kinds of different flavorings such as Celestial Seasonings tea, essential oils (like LuAnn), flavorings (like Watkins) and approved drink mixes like Real Lemon brand.  I use all these options in the different variations of GGMS I make.  None of them are original but I have tweaked them to fit my own taste.  I must admit, sometimes I feel like Granny Clampet using her still to come up with my new favorite flavor of moonshine.  


Because the benefits of these drinks are amazing, I drink at least two of these drinks a day.  ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) can help lower blood pressure & cholesterol, regulate blood sugar and other healthful things.  You can read about it here and here .  Ginger helps with indigestion, nausea and infection as well as numerous other things. You can read about it here and here .  

Yesterday I made a an apple cranberry version that knocked my socks off!  Here is what I did:


Apple Cranberry GGMS

2 Celestial Seasonings Apple Cranberry tea bags
1 3/4 cup water
1 tbs Pyure
pinch salt
1 tbs Baoab Powder
2 tbs ACV
1 tsp ginger juice

Put the tea bags and water in microwave safe cup and microwave for 2 minutes.  Let steep for 5-10 minutes.  Meanwhile, put the rest of the ingredients in a quart mason jar (or vehicle of choosing).  After the tea has steeped a good amount of time, squeeze the tea out of the bags and pour into jar.  Mix well.  Fill jar with ice and drink. 

So, even if you don't try Ma's version, I do recommend trying a "modern day" version.  These drinks can be customized to your own liking with various flavorings, levels of sweetness, tartness...etc.  For example, I like my GGMS on the sweet side with very little ginger.  Others like more ginger and less sweet and that is perfectly OK!

         There it is...Goals, Stories and Recipes - the tools needed to Navigate Noodles.


Quote of the day:

Granny, "She ought to be doing woman's work--helping me with the still."
Jed, "I'll speak to her."

πŸ’šπŸ’š
Simply Me



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas

I Am 50