I Am 50

OK, ok, in 3 years I'll be 50.  But that's like half a century.  Half. A. Century.  Seriously, when did I get this old?  In my head I am still in high school rocking out to Whitesnake, Meatloaf and Bon Jovi, singing to Billy Joel and Dan Fogelberg songs, dreaming that one day I will meet Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton and knowing someday I will be a roady for Van Halen.  In real life I am a wife of 22 years, a mother of three grown children, I own a house, have two jobs and, in case anyone is interested, I am not nor have I ever been, a roady for Van Halen.  

I am not going to dwell on this but we have had a rough few years.  At the end of 2015 we said 2016 would be a great year.  Nope.  That was a misnomer.  At the end of 2016 we said 2017 would be a great year.  NOPE!  January 11 of 2017 rocked our world and to say the least, it has not been a great year.  I can only hope 2018 will be better. However, the information I have at present is leading me to believe it wont be.  But each morning I get up out of bed, dust myself off and start the day with renewed gusto.  I am a morning person so it comes easy to me.  I can only hope one of these mornings the devil will realize he cannot not break me and say, "Crap, I better watch out because she is up and she is not stopping!" 


This past Monday morning I had an epiphany of sorts.  I woke up late (anything after 6:30 am is late), my coffee maker made coffee in slow motion, the shower seemed to shrink, my fat pants felt like skinny pants and I found myself saying "Seriously?" aloud every couple seconds.  When I was finally able to sit down and drink a cup of coffee I muttered something along the lines of, "This crap has to change!"  OK, it was worded a bit stronger than that, but you get the gist.  πŸ˜‰  After packing my lunch, grabbing my coat and purse I headed off to work...late.


Maybe if I had looked out of a window at all, I would have seen that fog enveloped everything and visibility stunk.  Uttering, "Oy with the poodles already," I made my way up Main Street in my white mini van.  It was pretty slow going for about 14 miles.  Rather white knuckling at times.  And then, just like that, the fog was gone and the sun was shining.  Yep, right after I rounded the first part of the S-Curve, it was a brilliantly sunny morning with no fog in site.  I can't explain it any better than divine intervention.  I set the cruise to 57 mph and made my way to work.

I have a rather unique work situation.  I basically have a job where I don't do anything.  I usually have about 5 hours of work to do for the entire week and then I sit and read a book or play on my phone or watch Netflix (I currently have Sing on in the background).  Of course when the boss walks in I make myself look busy...I must keep up appearances.  My dad says it's the ideal job...lol.  I have to admit it is pretty sweet.  I know my employer can't be so clueless that he doesn't realize that I have nothing to do -- I think he just likes the fact that someone is there to greet customers and contractors when they come in.


I also have a second job that I go to right after my first job.  At the second job I work hard and fast for my money and feel I don't earn enough for what I do.  The owner keeps piling things on but doesn't want to increase my pay or my hours.  It is trying some days.  Yesterday for example.  I voiced my opinion on a couple of things and was basically told my opinion is mine and I can keep it.  My boss later came into my office and tried to joke around with me.  Was that his way of trying to fluff off the earlier encounter or his lame way of apologizing?  Either way I was done.


My parents are snow birds.  They winter in the south and summer in the north.  They are both getting up there in years and I am slowly seeing them not be able to do all the things they used to do and love.  It saddens me.  My dad has had some health issues the past couple of years that has landed him in the hospital for more than a week at a time.  That is taxing on anyone.  My mom, bless her heart, tries to hold things together but as an emotional  A.D.D. hoarder who has some memory issues holding it all together is hard for her.  I love them both and want them both to live forever.  I am a realist.  I know that won't happen.  I do try to spend time with them while they are in the north.  We share a lot of the same hobbies, likes and dislikes.  We get ourselves involved in projects that seem crazy at the beginning and completely nuts at the end.  But we laugh hard and start another one right after.



Flowers the hubs brought home
for me last night just because.
My husband is my best friend and even though he irritates the hell out of me most days, he is my confidant, my companion, my lover and the one person I know I can count on to save my butt when I need it.  My oldest son just told me this morning he thinks it is amazing we are still married.  After eyeing him suspiciously and making the general assumption he was happy we were still married,  I told him that even though his dad and I don't always see eye to eye, we love and respect each other.  In the end that is what matters.  He then went on to say that divorce is more common than not with his friends parents and that he was happy we are still together.  Whew, nailed that one!

Back to my husband.  He is not perfect but neither am I.  He works hard to provide for our family and goes out of his way to make me know I am loved.  He has had some health issues these past couple of years which quite frankly have scared me.  He has recovered from them for the most part but doesn't take care of himself like he should.  His dad died rather young and he is sure he will too.  I keep telling him that we are supposed to grow old together and enjoy each other.   Anyway, he is a business professional who worked 2 jobs and went to college at night to better himself when the children were small.  He has been working at a job he loves for the last 10 years thanks to that education.  Moral of the story--stay in school kids! 


My oldest son has been on his own since he was 18.  He has had the same job since he was 16 and is as stable as a parent can ask for.  He doesn't have a girl friend, and when we ask he says that he has to be able to talk to girls in order to date them. LOL He is happy and healthy.  I can't ask for much more.


My middle son still lives at home but has a full time job in a factory.  He doesn't really like it but the pay and benefits are outstanding.  He is a kind young man with a good heart.  He has made some decisions in the past that unfortunately may stick with him for the rest of his life.  I just pray he is alright in the end.


My daughter also still lives at home.  She has two jobs and goes to school full time.  She just told me yesterday that she is not failing chemistry like she thought.  Circled her face and said, "Solid C student right here."  She makes me laugh and for that I am grateful.  She doesn't have a boyfriend at this time and just says, "Boys are bad."  She is a happy young lady who has a zeal for life.


So, that is pretty much it about me.  I am just Simply Me.  I am starting this blog because I love to write; some say I have a gift and some say don't waste the ink.  If I thought for a second I could  make a living doing what I love (writing) I would actually give up my job where I don't do anything and my job where I work like a horse and do it.  Until then I will keep on keeping on as they say.


My goal is to write daily.  I have some personal goals I want to work on and hope to use this blog as a way to keep myself accountable. I have stories to share and believe me, I have some doozies  I plan to share recipes and ugly food pictures too.  Most of all I plan to keep it real.  No one wants to read a blog where life is merry and bright all the time because no ones life is like that.  It is full of highs and lows and ups and downs.  My goal in life is to stay positive, to be joyful and to try and make someones day better.  It really is as simple as that.





πŸ’œπŸ’œ
Simply Me






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Girl Moonshine (GGMS)

Merry Christmas